Sunday 4 March 2012

Beauty and the beast (that doesn't exist)

Mama, that whole last post sounds like me on a hangover morning!!!! (without the head licks from the dogs, which I'm not sure would help me when I'm hungover so really I'm quite happy that part is omitted) So as you can see from the pics, my mum is a bit of a looker. She's very modest (and I'm very biased) but I think she's incredibly beautiful. I read a quote the other day that said "there are no ugly women...only lazy ones" Now, I know what they're getting at, but I think lazy is entirely the wrong word to use. In the world of cancer, I think there are only beautiful women. Women who face adversity and who battle on courageously. I think beauty a lot of the time comes from within and a person's startling ability to make a joke at a time that feels so serious and frightening, or to find the bright side of a situation makes them smile and people around them smile and that can make them incredibly beautiful. However it can be ridiculously hard to do this when it's difficult to even get yourself out of bed in the morning. It is also not so much about how other people see you, but more about how you feel. A shiny bald head, no eyebrows or eyelashes, nails that have "bubbled up" and gone yellow (one side effect my mum experienced on one of her treatments, fatigue and sickness are not things that make you look in the mirror and think, "Wow. I look bloody traffic-stoppingly gorgeous today! Paparazzi come one, come all! I'm ready for my close up!" However, I know from personal experience and from my mum's experience that if you just do some small things to make yourself look better, you feel better! Mum hates losing her hair, it's terribly traumatic (particularly for a woman) and she feels (I imagine) that she should be auditioning to play gollum in the lord of the rings remake. To me she looks just as stunning as always (and you're so lucky to have that lovely shaped head Ma- hahaha) But. If she gets up (slowly) in the morning and spends a little bit of time choosing a nice outfit to wear, applying some makeup, putting a cool scarf or her wig on, she can take a look in the mirror and feel better. I have often experienced this too on days when I feel under par confidence wise or health wise. If I put a bit of slap on and push myself to make an effort, it always lifts my spirits and I feel better. It might sound superficial, but just try it. I promise you it will make you feel more like you! If you look good you will feel better! It does help to have a focus and something to do and it's a great way to help switch your mindset to feeling more positive. And I am a very strong believer in the healing power of positivity! So get your lippy out and see what happens. I think you'll see I'm right. G xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment