Friday 24 February 2012

The morning after pill.....Jacqui

I decided to do another blog, although its not really my turn! But Gemma has a proper job and may only blog at weekends, plus I seem to have a lot to say (some people would interject there, that I always do have! So??)

I just thought, as I'm fired and bolstered up on steroids today after yesterday's sesh, it would be a good time to write about it. I've been awake since 2am and its now 2pm, so I need another activity apart from online scrabble,tv, scrabble, feeding dogs,tv, kindle,tv,a spot of marigolding (only MY rubber gloves usually come from LIDL) and more scrabble). It would also be a waste and a shame not to take advantage of the clarity of mind afforded me for another 12 hours at least by the lovely but cruelly shortlived effect of said steroids!

These are given before the chemo drug in a big bag of saline along with other things like anti-emetics and anti-histamines....quite an anti-cocktail really! The anti-histamines make you sleep and the steroids wake you up! On balance I like the steroids best because I don't sleep much at the best of times, and at least I feel alert rather than just poorly!

So at the moment I don't feel too bad, all things considered. I took the anti-emetic pill this morning so no nausea. I am ravenous (another steroid bonus) so have eaten just what I fancy, which was 2 bowls of readybrek, brought back by Fbud (Best friend, who did meet me at the shopping mall yesterday!)from her recent trip to Old Blighty. (More, much more on Fbud another time...I need a whole blog for her!) I should maybe explain at this point that a) we live in Greece (I know..shock horror in these troubled times!) and b) I need readybrek because by next week the ulcers will be back and I wont be interested in food and isn't readybrek incredibly comforting and nostalgia-ridden?

Message to Gemma:Thank you so much I got the 2 packets you sent, but next time send by normal mail..that might get it here sooner..think it was stuck in that most efficient state of the art post-office system we have here!

Finally, I want to just say that , believe it or not, I would NEVER consider going back to the UK for my chemo or other treatments.I am very lucky(!) to have health insurance and so far have "sampled" pretty much all the very latest breast cancer (advanced) treatments. Tests  are done with no delay, and results returned into your own hands, to keep forever, either the same or the next day! The hospital is modern, clean, functioning , I know all the admission staff by their first names, the wonderful chemo nurses and my team of doctors are highly revered and highly qualified. Ah you will say, thats private for you, but I will say:wait a min......most, if not all of the other ladies on the C-ward come equipped with a special social security/national health booklet which means they are not paying guests and, believe me , they are getting the same amazing,life-saving treatment I am.! Maybe things will deteriorate now in the present climate of cut-backs, but I haven't seen it yet on C-ward, and long may it continue...Props to Greece and its wonderful medical services.....I, for one don't believe I'd still be here to write this blog today if it wasn't for Greece!!!!

 If I was getting any comments, (which I'm not) bet these observations will be a "cat-among-the pigeons" scenario!!! Now there's a challenge!

I'm off to try for a nap now, wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jacqui, thank God you are in Greece and you are receiving such excellent care. I also have private medical health insurance for myself and Andrew and Nicole because I have no faith in the NHS in the UK, I have heard too many horror stories of things going wrong. I know some excellent people who work in the NHS including Andrew's girlfiend Tess but they are so overworked it is ridiculous. Its a great idea doing the blog, I hope to see you one of these days. Tish x

    ReplyDelete