Saturday 5 May 2012

My People.....introducing Bbud!


Yes, folks it's yet another brilliantly written guest blog , this time from my other"third", Bbud! (I have such clever, literary friends!). In truth I am the last third of the Muskbuds (sorry Budspeak for Musketeers!), because I "tacked" myself on to Fbud and Bbud's friendship relatively recently. They, you see, had already been joined at the hip for many years, since their children were babes in arms.
I met them both at our 3 times weekly (much too early for me) tennis games. WE hit it off immediately, and not just on the court!
Bbud is the social butterfly of the three of us, and was the one to set Muskbudness in motion, by inviting Robert and me to an extra-curricular barbecue in their gorgeous Greek courtyard garden. I'm not sure what was more impressive, some 12 years on.....the great company, the gourmet food, the extensive South African wine collection (for Bbud hails from another paradise, Cape Town!) or...the sparkling ease with which we were made to feel welcome! (Or was that the aperitif of Prosecco with fresh strawberries?)
Anyway, the progression from that evening to full-bodied friendship is all a blur now, because , for as long as I remember,since then we have been  the closest of friends!
Bbud is also our "tourleader", the one who knows where to go for fun,for culture, for more serious matters and never makes a drama out of a crisis! Mostly we just talk, laugh, joke, have fun together, but I know as sure as eggs is eggs, she is and always has been there for me throughout all of this potentially offputting cancer sh*@!
Although her time is limited by running her own business,we get together whenever and wherever we can, because, quite simply we three Muskbuds have the best time together! Lately it's been  all too infrequently and usually pre-treatments, but B-bud, get checking out Athens Time Out, because when this lot of treatments are behind me, we are going to paint the town whatever colour we fancy....and then paint over it!! And can I just take this opportunity to say thank you  for all your love and support!

Here's Bbuds blog, (far too complimentary!)for which I am in her debt forever.........................



Bbud's blog
When you live in a foreign country, friends become of utmost importance and take the place of your far-off family. While there are literally thousands of foreign women living in Athens, meeting an English-speaking one that you like & get on with is not as easy as it seems. Frances and I were already firm friends when Jacqui appeared in the tennis group with her gorgeous blue eyes, happy smile & disarming openness.

The incident Frances described earlier, when Jacqui casually mentioned her ‘small lump’ is forever etched in my memory. Jacqui plunged into the operation & treatments; refusing all offers to accompany her to the hospital, insisting that it was simply a matter of three months & she would be fine. And she was! She is the proof of the power of positive thinking!

With the restriction of working full time, I have played the role of B-bud in supporting Jacqui: back up when Fbud was not available, or driver to doctors in difficult locations. I have also shared in the great times between treatments when Jacqui’s joie de vivre has meant loads of laughs and fun together.

Typically, Jacqui’s reaction to the cancer metastasizing was ‘Sod it!’ and to wear jaunty little neck scarves to cover the marks on her neck & throat from the radiotherapy. Whenever we meet her at the hospital, not only is she not in slipper shuffle mode, but always stylishly dressed & made up. No wonder Papa Doc wants her opinion on his love life!

Only Jacqui could have kept her positive outlook & kick-ass attitude for so long. She has amazed her friends & confounded her doctors. Having accompanied her to some of her doctors’ visits, I can attest first hand that they cannot believe that she has never taken anti-depressants through all the vicious rounds of chemo & terrifying waiting for results that she has endured. Jacqui has not let her illness define her; rather she has defined how to really live with cancer – a good formula even for those without it.

Before you become close to a friend with cancer, you may think you will feel awkward & not know what to say or do. Jacqui has taught me that you only need to be there, in person or at a distance, to listen or do what you can, and simply show you care.

As I write this, I have been playing the three cd compilations of Jacqui’s Favourite Hits that she made for her friends. She has an amazing voice & musical ear (which her famous son has inherited) and thinking of Jacqui immediately brings songs to mind.

So, JBud, just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
You’ve got a friend. 


2 comments:

  1. Ditto, ditto, ditto to everything you've expressed so beautifully, Bbud ! As a proud and privileged member of the elite MuskBuds (which is not another Neo-Nazi Greek political Party!)I will add my own musical dedication - Three Little Birds- Bob Marley ( personal fave):- Singin..Don't worry about a thing,
    'Cause every little thing gonna be all right !!
    Love you buds (Big Bird ) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful blog post Bbud! So lovely. Made me cry. Thank you for being such an amazing friend to my mum. Don't know what she would do without you and FBud. Lots of love, G x

      Delete